Monday, December 29, 2008

Conforming our faces to Western glasses

There's this movie called Iron and Silk, where a white man goes to China to teach English... It talks about the culture differences and he gets to experience discrimination. He builds a nice rapport with his students, and one day they're talking about the differences between the Western world and theirs. One of his students says, "Your face... it's so 3-dimensional..."

I recently went to see the movie "Bolt" in 3-D at our local theater... I'm wearing 3-D glasses for this movie, and coming out of the theater I get these marks above my cheeks from where the glasses were sitting. This reminded me of how uncomfortable my safety glasses at work were... they wouldn't sit at the bridge of my nose and instead cut into my cheeks. This is because these glasses were designed for non-Asian faces. Maybe it's time we design safety glasses for Asians and stop trying to conform our faces to the Western world!

1 comment:

Martha said...

so not only do we need left/right handed utensils, male/female sizing, we also need everything tailored to each ethnicity, too?
Then again, keep in mind that none of those fit me/my face properly, either. It's not just you or even generally Asians. That's just what you get for expecting "one size fits all" for items.
Perhaps that's an entrepreneuraship idea for you - kinda like Flanders (Simpsons) had the Lefty's Store, you could open a niche market store with common items such as the glasses, tailored for Asians...