Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Frozen Pork Mini Buns - Any good?

So I was at Jungle Jim's, which is what I would describe as a grocery store crossed with Disney World. Fun place to go shopping, they have more international stuff that many of the mom and pop Chinese stores... all in the outskirts of Cincinnati Ohio.

I picked up a package of "Wei-Chuan" brand frozen pork mini-buns (there's got to be a "that's what she said" double meaning in here somewhere), figuring it could tide me over if I had any dim sum cravings.


After steaming in the rice cooker, I pulled one out, took a bite... and it was actually really good! Even complete with the juices that flow out of the bun, which gives it even more authenticity (Chinese people will know what I'm talking about). The meat had the right flavors, almost (dare I say) Chinatown like taste?

3 comments:

Morris said...

Are those actually buns? They look more like dumplings.

Dale said...

They're buns... "bao" if you translate it.

Martha said...

I want some.
I finally found one Chinese restaurant that has bbq pork bao's on their appetizer menu. While okay, I've had better (homemade, to be fair - we made those among other things on meat-pie day in baking class!), but they were definitely worth it.