Monday, March 2, 2009

Guess the ethnicity- Gary Locke

Barack Obama has appointed Gary Locke to be the U.S. Secretary of Commerce. Gary Locke, former governor of Washington, the first Chinese-American Governor.

This brings to mind the burning question: If you're really, really Chinese, would you seriously name your kid Gary? 

That's a joke- about Gary.  Though, I actually don't know an Asian people named Gary either.

The last name Locke, however,  is a very unusual Anglicization of a Chinese name.  Most Chinese names when Anglicized still maintain some distinctive Chinese look.  Anglicizing of last names is pretty common for Europeans coming to the United States, but it's just a little strange to see a Chinese name Anglicized to the point where it's no longer recognizably Chinese.

From Wikipedia, Gary Locke's given name is: 駱家輝 (Lok Gaa-Fai)

6 comments:

Martha said...

What name would constitute a "better" Chinese name?

Ok, my (asian american) coworkers are recommending a movie called "Ping Pong Playa", which apparently mocks some Chinese stereotypes.
Dale, as much as you talk about the stereotypes, I was wondering if you'd seen it.

Morris said...

I'm joking about the name Gary, by the way. Locke is just a somewhat strange Anglicization of Lok. There are few Chinese names that crossover. Lee is one of the few that I know. I know that there are non-Chinese people with the last name Lee, but if I see it, I generally think Chinese first.

Dale said...

Actually, someone else also suggested I watch that movie. I wonder where I could get it...

I actually know at least two Chinese people named Gary.

Anonymous said...

well, seeing that Locke is a 3rd generation Chinese American, that probably meant his grandaparents originally immigrated around 1900 during the Chinese Exclusion Act. So I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to keep a lower profile by choosing an Anglo spelling.

Those people with last names "Ng" should definitely anglicize it more because no one can pronounce that.

Anonymous said...

by the way, is there a difference between romanizing vs anglicizing?

Morris said...

RE: by the way, is there a difference between romanizing vs anglicizing

Yes, there is a difference between the two. Romanization is just the process of using the alphabet to recreate words from other languages. Anglicizing is making those words more English.